I took a late night stroll tonight. I wanted some time alone to walk and listen to my music. People find it odd that I'm off alone at night. They think it's dangerous. This place doesn't threaten me though. Even finding a quiet and dark place is difficult on campus. Penn State is so crowded and well-lit, even at night.
Although I come from a busy city, the busyness is different here. I used to be able to walk to and from school in solitude. I listen to my music and pass the faces of people I don't recognize, don't see. The streets are noisy and narrow, but they're real and welcoming.
On campus, the people are all students. They seem to exist as a collective. I don't mind being a face among thousands. I don't mind going with the current. But here, it's difficult to distinguish between their voices and my own.
Maybe it's just a difference in culture and lifestyle. I don't really know what I'm trying to say. I need my time alone. I thought that among these trees I'll find my relaxation, but instead I find grasses cut too neatly and paths laid out too well.
My roommate is concerned about my walking in the dark. I even ran into someone I know. If I don't get something better out of this, I will no longer walk in the dark alone.

No comments:
Post a Comment